As demand increases for healthcare providers to transition from a fee-for-service to a value-based model, the need to implement measurement-based care is greater than ever. Although measurement-based care practices are commonplace in the medical and surgical fields (testing cholesterol levels or A1C level for diabetes, for example), they tend to be less widespread within the behavioral health community. According to a report published by the Kennedy Forum, only 18% of psychiatrists and 11% of psychologists regularly use measurement methods to monitor their patients’ progress.
What is Measurement-Based Care?
A report in the journal Cognitive Behavior and Practice defines measurement-based care as the practice of basing clinical care on client data collected throughout treatment. Aside from working well with a value-based reimbursement model, measurement-based care can be very beneficial to both clinicians and their patients. Studies have shown that patients receiving measurement-based care are more likely to achieve greater response and remission rates than those receiving standard care. Measurement-based care allows providers to create measurable, data-driven treatment plans that can be amended and reassessed if patients are not responding to a course of treatment. Additionally, when patients are involved in providing ratings of their symptoms, they can feel more actively involved in their treatment and more aware of potential symptomatic patterns.
While it may sound appealing to bring measurement-based care methods to your practice, knowing where to start can be difficult. Creating a symptom rating and tracking system on your own can be cumbersome, and potentially become a roadblock to offering more effective care. Though prebuilt solutions exist, many products on the market often don’t equally address the needs of the clinician as well as the needs of the patient.
Introducing Pacifica for Clinicians
Pacifica for Clinicians is a first-of-its-kind, web-based dashboard tool that mental health care providers can use to easily bring measurement-based care to their own practice. Using Pacifica’s popular consumer-facing mobile app, which has over 1.25 million registered users and counting, Pacifica for Clinicians makes it easy for you to track your patients’ progress, and use data to inform treatment decisions.
How Does It Work?
The goal of Pacifica for Clinicians is to help facilitate measurement-based care without disrupting your existing practice.
With a subscription to Pacifica for Clinicians, all of your patients will receive a Premium subscription to Pacifica’s mobile application. The app includes a variety of tools based on cognitive-behavioral therapy and mindfulness:
- Mood and Health Tracking: Users can enter mood ratings and attach feelings or include notes on each rating. The Health tool allows users to select specific habits (such as sleep, exercise, alcohol, caffeine, etc.) and track them each day. Together, these tools can help users identify patterns in their mood based on different health activities.
- Thoughts and Goals: Using one of Pacifica’s nine psychologist-designed thought recording tools, users can keep track of their thoughts and learn to challenge negative thinking patterns. By setting daily challenges, users can reach their long-term goals one step at a time.
- Relaxation Techniques: Pacifica offers over 25 audio activities including deep breathing, muscle relaxation, and a variety of mindfulness exercises.
- Community and Hope Board: The peer-support community in Pacifica allows users to connect with others for encouragement. Based on the dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) concept of a “Distress Tolerance Box”, the Hope Board is a place for users to save and review inspiring content, including photos, quotes, completed Pacifica activities and community content.
- Guided Self-Help Paths: Designed by psychologists, Paths include an audio lesson and accompanying activity. Topics include CBT and mindfulness, with more to be added in the future.
- Progress Data: View daily, weekly and monthly progress reports so users can see improvement over time and notice patterns in their moods.
Using Pacifica for Clinicians, you will get full access to the Clinician Dashboard, which offers you oversight of your patients’ progress all in one place.
- Review Client Data: Using the Clinician Dashboard, you can see your clients’ mood and health history, goal tracking information, completed thought records and relaxation activities. This can both help your patient feel more involved in treatment decisions and give you more insight between sessions.
- Assign Assessments: Beyond gathering data from app usage, Pacifica for Clinicians allows you to assign recurring assessments (e.g. GAD-7, PHQ-9) to your clients and review and export their response data from the Clinician Dashboard.
- Data-Driven Decision Making: Put measurement-based care in action by using insights from the Clinician Dashboard to assess treatment effectiveness and inform clinical decisions
- Coming Soon – We’re expanding the features of the Clinician Dashboard rapidly. Some upcoming features include:
- Teletherapy: Projected for release in April 2017, the Clinician Dashboard will soon include a teletherapy feature that will allow you to perform virtual text or video sessions with your clients.
- Client Assignments and Reminders: Give your clients assignments to complete activities within Pacifica and send push notification reminders to their phones.
- EHR Integration: Integrate patient data from Pacifica into your electronic health record system.
Security: HIPAA Compliance
Pacifica for Clinicians is fully HIPAA compliant, with all necessary physical, technical and administrative safeguards in place to maintain data security.
The Science Behind Pacifica
Additionally, Pacifica has partnered with the University of Minnesota on an ongoing Randomized Control Trial. The results have yet to be published, but the initial pilot has shown impressive effect sizes across multiple measures, including the NIH PROMIS scale for global mental health, and the DASS-21.
Try Pacifica for Clinicians Free for 30 Days
Ready to put measurement-based care to work for your clients? With your 30 day free trial of Pacifica for Clinicians, you’ll get Premium subscriptions to the Pacifica mobile app for you and your clients and full access to the Clinician Dashboard. You can request a one on one demonstration, or get started right away by clicking the button below.